Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Don't Let Everyday Sexism Stay Invisible

Women forget that men don't understand what it is like for us everyday. I read the following blog post and as I did, memories replayed in my mind of countless times these things happened to me and my friends. I learned quickly (as most women do) that this is our reality, that this is how life is for us.

This is not how it should be.

I don't want this to be the way it is for my daughters and their friends, but for now, it is.

I'm not saying that only women experience violence and sexism, so please don't go off on tangents about that with derailing comments. Recognizing one problem doesn't mean other problems don't exist.

Right now I'm talking about this problem. The problem that everyday sexism is a fact of life for the majority of women in the world. This article illustrates it well, and though I agree with her that it is important to hear and listen to women when they manage to speak about their experiences, I would encourage everyone of all genders and identities to do more than listen. Look. Watch for the things that go unmentioned. See what is happening around you, and when you do, offer whatever support you can. It might be a word or even just a look that says "I saw it too. You are not crazy. You are not alone." It might be more, it might be less, but be aware of it. Start seeing it.

Here is the link.

http://driftingthrough.com/2015/11/20/the-thing-all-women-do-that-you-dont-know-about/

No comments:

Post a Comment